How to rip audio from a DVD into MP3 (or other) format

Shoutcast, MP3, server, php, sql, ...

Moderator: elliot

How to rip audio from a DVD into MP3 (or other) format

Postby durga2112 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:43 pm

This forum seems empty, so I'll start it with something I originally posted at DT.net. :)

I have a few music DVDs, but I rarely have time to actually sit down and watch them. But since I listen to most of my music from my computer, I thought it might be nice to be able to somehow convert the audio from a DVD into MP3 format so I could at least have something to listen to from it. Below is the solution I came up with, after much googling and questioning. I thought it might be helpful in case anyone else wants to do it too.

I was able to do this using two free pieces of software: Xmpeg (to rip the audio from the DVD into MP3 format) and mp3DirectCut (to split the single MP3 obtained by using Xmpeg into separate MP3 files). As I said, they are both free, and you should be able to find them easily by googling for them.

Xmpeg is very easy to use - you just pop a DVD in, open it in the program, then tell it to extract the audio (you can extract the audio to WAV or MP3, and some other formats too, I believe). This will give you one giant sound file for the entire DVD. Although for DVDs with multiple sections (like bonus material, etc.), I think you have to do a separate rip for each section (one example I have is Dream Theater's Scenes from New York: the main concert is in one section, which Xmpeg will recognize automatically. The bonus materials are all in another section, which you would have to open manually. But it shouldn't be too difficult to dig around and find what you are looking for).

If you're satisfied with having a single sound file, then Xmpeg should be all you need. If you want to break it up into smaller files, such as for individual songs, then you can use mp3DirectCut.

mp3DirectCut is a little more involved. You can let it try to automatically detect pauses in the MP3, which it does, but not always at the parts you want. BUT, it has a nice interface that includes the waveform of the file you're editing, so by dragging the scrollbar back and forth you can "see" where the pauses are. Then it's just a matter of marking the beginning and end of your selection, and you can save that selection to its own MP3.

So far I've converted my SFNY and Transatlantic - Live in Europe DVDs in this way (I don't have the CDs yet, so for now this will suffice :)). When I get some more time I will try to tackle the other DVDs I have.
"Sometimes a view from sinless eyes
Centers our perspective
And pacifies our cries"
(Dream Theater - "Lines in the Sand")
durga2112

Return to Technical Talk