A question about bitrate

Shoutcast, MP3, server, php, sql, ...

Moderator: elliot

A question about bitrate

Postby bengtfalke » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:38 am

I love this station... it is one of the best on the net. I have it on most of the time while working. I have discovered lots of new music that I later have bought.

The only bad thing is the bitrate. :cry: Why have you decided to use only 80 kb. Now I often listen to some other channels as they have better sound quality.... Can you please move to 128 kb I get tired in my ears and head of listening to the flat 80 kb sound.

Keep up the good work!

Regards from Sweden!
bengtfalke

Postby Kev347 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:04 am

I actually heard Don say this on air once so I'll respond. The reason DA uses 80 (which is actually very high for an Internet radio station) is to discourage people from mp3 recording the station and thus having an illegal way to get music. If the station were 128, people would be more inclined to record it and from that they could get mp3s of some of the stuff played on this station. Obviously, DA doesn't want to square off against the RIAA, so they stick with 80.

Kev
Kev347

Postby bengtfalke » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:19 am

OK I can understand that. But there are hundreds of other stations using 128 or more. Live365 for example are even using MP3Pro. As I understand it there some rules about how often you can play tunes from a certain record and so on and this is based on a agreement between the labels, artist and Live365.

So it should not really be a problem....
bengtfalke

Postby Kev347 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:13 am

I will let a DJ take over here...

Kev
Kev347

uhh

Postby parcel218 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:20 am

bengtfalke wrote: I have discovered lots of new music that I later have bought.

Okay if you say so. :D
parcel218

Bandwith issue for some of us

Postby nosmadar » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:49 pm

I have 'slow' DSL at home and it barely keeps up with the demands of 128 KB. Also I listen at work and even though we have a nice T3 connection, because of other netowrk traffic on our intranet and not wanting DA to be shut off because it consumes too much bandwith, I prefer the 80 KB rate myself. It's good enough to save samples of things I want but the samples aren't good enough to really keep.
nosmadar

Return to Technical Talk