Happy New Year/Request for suggestions

Specials, interviews, marathons. Hear it hear first!

Happy New Year/Request for suggestions

Postby elliot » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Dear friends,

On behalf of the staff of Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio, I want to wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year.

In 2008, we will continue to bring you the best progressive music has to offer, as well as some of the not-so-best. Because, let's face it, you can only listen to Yes and Genesis for only so long (although, in my case, "so long" is a really long time...).

We are making some technical changes behind the scenes to tune the default playlist to get a wider variety and still throw in enough classic prog to make all proggers happy listeners.

We also hope the royalty situation gets straightened out so that this cloud can go away.

Now, I ask you, our friends, what you you like to see us do differently, if anything at all? Do you like our playlists? Our shows? Our stream fidelity? Reply here with your comments a feedback. We want to be not just YOUR #1 progressive station on the internet, but THE #1 progressive station on the internet.

I look forward to your comments!

Best Regards,
Elliot and the Staff of DAPRR
Elliot
VP, Program Director, Webmaster, Chief techno-geek
Pamela Progsnob's "producer"
Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
elliot
Site Admin

Postby mondstar » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:25 am

Yeah, also exclusively the best wishes solely - from me. Personally i think, the more people having the same dream the more likely it's going to happen. Alternatively, one only has to believe hard, eh strong enough; it'd be easy.

Approximately at the same time when you Elliot wrote the Happy-New-Year Well-Wishings i had been asking myself if newbies could encounter some problems when trying to get a music-player a-working. (Y? - no) Silly, isn't it?

Now .. still wondering how one would have to go about ameliorating a perfect stunner? .. strikemeflat .. a quarter of an hour being somewhat awake a notion:

Every month (until Summer that is) a listener gets a (copy-) CD when lucky enough been picked from the lottery wheel, which accumulates all requests for the "Seven Days' Fanciers' Faves", the more lots, the easier you are going to make it for Fortune. The MC then (one Mr. .. something with "M" perhaps - on a Monday from 16-17 local) plays the top-7 and chooses a special tune in case of extant time and decides for himself when two or more songs got the same ciphers. Stupenduos the idea ..isnt it? ...What has happened to TheWatch'es "ow 7"-album actually?
Special guess wo, if 2.templecalls aliens not appear soon. Who'd build a cupboard full of saucers & stoueff several times a day. Hope as well they come down to Meddle Earph in a sou'-easterner accident from fresh Freekinshire. Sms, trickin trolls svp.
mondstar

Location: Highwaystar2hell Henry Ford's conveyor belt, 1oo% fearmongery. Magic djinntress in wan

Postby Progressive Atic » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 am

What happened to the Yes marathon? :?:
Progressive Atic

Postby Progressive Atic » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:58 am

Oh no! I missed it! :(
I have a new account: ProgressiveAttic...no longer using this one...
Progressive Atic

Postby ianmitchell » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:14 pm

I think expanding the playlists is a great idea - in particular, I'd like to hear more from active bands that I might not hear otherwise. There seem to be a lot of really good prog bands appearing on the scene these days, maybe just needing someone to play their music so they can get the exposure they need.
ianmitchell

Postby Giloeada » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:12 pm

1. Mainly, I would like to see a Request feature.

2. As far as content, I am a traditionalist. To me, the essence of Prog is derived from the classical tradition. Needless to say, my favorite program is The Classical Connection, although I rarely get to hear it when it airs. I try to keep an open mind about the newer material, but so much of it sounds like heavy metal, or jazz, or mindless noodling.

3. More Gentle Giant :!:
Give love each day!
Giloeada

Love the station

Postby misterx » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:11 pm

I know you know how much I love you guys. DA is such a breath of fresh air. I don't know if I dare to suggest anything for fear of upsetting a great set-up. I like all of the programs. I really liked the History of Prog shows Papa J did. I liked the Genesis/Grand Parade and Rush Hour and would like to see them come around again. I'd love to hear more from Rush, especially the middle albums, PW, Moving Pix, Signals, p/g, Power Windows, Presto, RTB.

I'd also recommend the inclusion of Paradigm Blue - specifically, their CD Liquid Eyes. A great prog effort that went completely unnoticed. I have the CD but it sure would be nice to hear it in the confines of the great prog mix DA offers.

I'd also like to hear more of what I would call proto-prog bands like 10cc, Kayak and a lot of the music Papa J featured on his History sets.

I don't like SSPH but I understand its significance. Party on!

xoxoxomr.x
I had a dream of the open water, I was swimming away out to sea - so deep I could never touch bottom - what a fool I used to be ...
misterx

more programming thoughts

Postby misterx » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:15 pm

I already told you how much I love what you play. But, as long as you're in the asking mood, I thought I'd add a little more... I'd love to hear more Moody Blues (M. Pinder era). I also notice that sometimes I hear Thomas Dolby and the Cure. I think there are many progressive bands that got mixed in with the eighties new wave sound that had a real progressive sound about them. Album cuts from Ultravox (Midge Ure era), Gary Numan, A Flock of Seagulls, Planet P, Cactus World News, Cocteau Twins, Art of Noise, Electrafixion, etc., would make a great addition.

Also, I'd like to thank Joe for playing that one J. Giles tune - very cool. Don, I'd like to thank you for SSOFTS! Elliot, thanks for playing my requests. To the whole DA staff, thanks so much for playing the rarities that I would have otherwise never heard. That list is far too long to mention here ;-)

Love you all!

mr.x
I had a dream of the open water, I was swimming away out to sea - so deep I could never touch bottom - what a fool I used to be ...
misterx

Postby Gerd » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:19 pm

I listen to DA a lot, and like it for the most part. Every now and then there are some songs that really bug me (some noise from Troub... something or other , Henry Cow, most of Softmachine, Amy N), but I can live with that given the overall great programming. Sometimes I'd wish for a Thumbs Up/Thumbs down feature, but I'd fear it would be abused and skew the great variety of the programming. I'd have the same problem with requests.

Being able to download past shows would be a great feature (there are some great shows on that I consistently miss because of when they are on), but given the storage and bandwidth requirements that probably will not happen.

I would echo a previous request for more prog stuff from currently active acts, so we can support them.

But all in all I love DA as is. Great stuff by all the folks contributing, thank you soo much!
Gerd

Postby yesola » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:07 pm

Yes , well I have a request.......

For those of us who listen and chat to Don's great show "Southside of the Sky" it goes too fast. Don used to follow up with the Garden of Dreams, but alas Don has a life......

There are a bunch of us that stay on for chat after, because like i said it goes too fast and we wouldn’t mind hanging out and listening to some classics while some wait for PJ.

Sooooo is it possible to insert a show like "The superstars of prog in there , since it is pre – recorded and two hours long, or at least pre program some of the more classic Prog music for these two hours before PJ ...because that is probably the listening taste of the audience immediately following the Yes show, or even more Yes....

I feel funny asking DA for anything you guys are great....but since you asked and we were talking in chat about it.

Be well and thanks for such a great prog station !
yesola

Postby sissywoods » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 pm

Nice idea Yesola.
I second that.
sissywoods

Postby Bugeyes » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:21 pm

I third this!
Think only good thoughts since the whole of humanity depends upon the condition of its atoms. Dead Sea Scroll
Bugeyes

Return to Programming announcements