progressive show

Chat, meet, agree, disagree, make friends, fall in love. Have fun. Be nice.

progressive show

Postby pat_moog » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:34 pm

heya. I am hoping to do a progressive hour at my local radio station, and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions.
I am not sure where to get all my music, although I have some at my disposal, but most is on kassette, which the radio can't play
Also, how do I introduce progressive music to the general public?
pat_moog

Postby ianmitchell » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:24 am

Good luck with your show. Maybe you could try contacting record labels about getting some music for your show? The DJs here might have more insight on that though.

As far as introducing progressive music to the general public, you can alway try 'easing' them into it a bit - play some of the 70's music they might be familiar with (e.g. better-known Yes or Pink Floyd songs) along with some of the newer groups that might be a bit more accessible to the general public (Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree), with maybe a little bit of other stuff in the mix. Don't start off with a 60-minute epic or a bunch of really bizarre stuff.
ianmitchell

Postby mondstar » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:22 pm

Well spoken - outstanding keybord too. :)

And another advice: don´t exaggerate, like for instance 60min. Rush-hour, i mean the two opening pieces on Moving Pictures, and "Spirit of Radio" (Perm. Waves), plus "Cinderella Man" res. "Closer to the Heart" from Farewell to Kings would chase even the best-disposed away. .. :idea:

..if one put the speakers onto the window-silly...
Special guess wo, if 2.templecalls aliens not appear soon. Who'd build a cupboard full of saucers & stoueff several times a day. Hope as well they come down to Meddle Earph in a sou'-easterner accident from fresh Freekinshire. Sms, trickin trolls svp.
mondstar

Location: Highwaystar2hell Henry Ford's conveyor belt, 1oo% fearmongery. Magic djinntress in wan

Postby mondstar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:26 am

g´day Pat,

see the obstacles, though nowadys nearly anything is connectible to the PC, a kassette-bandrecorder is a far-fetched idea. Either you need an analog-digital converter or the soundcard is prepared and has an analogous input. BUT consult the internet and a friend to check the specifications. I know i would.

Then Genesis´ "Abacab" (single version), "Land of Confusion" or "Turn it on again", e.g.

I have no clue, how to begin a radio-prog., but -e.o. in his stride- would babble on enthusiastically (s.t. a bit different from the ordinairy ...), only to grind to a nearly halt before the first record is on-air, saying things like,"...and now eh folks (dear listless ...big note), eh, and i dunno, but maybe that is more to YOUR liking, eh.."

In later years u will learn when to accentuate (any) words or some expressions to get your public´s attention, methinks. Much later. Let the music speak for itself....eh, really don´t know....mh-help !!

(one reason to become extremely frustrated would be, when all of a sudden the power went down or cold coffee all over the show..- where´s the escape route, dude)
Special guess wo, if 2.templecalls aliens not appear soon. Who'd build a cupboard full of saucers & stoueff several times a day. Hope as well they come down to Meddle Earph in a sou'-easterner accident from fresh Freekinshire. Sms, trickin trolls svp.
mondstar

Location: Highwaystar2hell Henry Ford's conveyor belt, 1oo% fearmongery. Magic djinntress in wan

Postby pat_moog » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:49 am

Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming, it’s all great.

I like the idea of asking record labels for promotional stuff. I am sure they wouldn’t mind passing some on. As he says, the DJs might have some more insight...
I see what you mean about easing them into it. You can’t convert people over night

telling people about the music. Yeah, that’s going to be hard. I have two ideas (apart from playing music) at the mo.
1. Lyric deciphering (catchy name to come) hopefully I can make that entertaining.

2. Longest song. Get listeners to phone in with a long song. The longest one gets played. I think this might encourage them to look around themselves for music that will inadvertently be likely to be prog. hopefully they wont find one that is longer than 60 minutes though, cos otherwise news would have to go in during the song

I think these would have to be introduced further in though, once we had got a few people "hooked"

As for playing cassettes, we don’t have anything at the mo, and as a fairly low budget station, cassette recorders just for my show would probably be a bit of an extravagance. Also, my cassettes are rather old - older than me for a start, so of pretty poor quality, as far as broadcasting is concerned. I think the best bet is record labels.

Once again, thanks for the input, it’s much appreciated! Keep it coming
pat_moog

Postby mondstar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:45 am

(should rather be going,"..willing TO send U my ONLY cd - passing IT to A winner .. ?SURE, an EPIC 60min numberR ?, that would be good newzZ, on top of the hour...here speaks the power-show..er, rabbit, roger and ..the cd is a 120 min, 15 pieces classic)
mondstar

Postby mondstar » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:57 pm

yippie, found it, suggestion for a prog-show for starters: (soundclip) http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/mul ... bums.shtml from the album "Superunknown" -> `Spoonman` (and i always understood ´all my friends are in the air´ and "Snowman" , hey it´s only waterrR) - actually unplayable, cause it´s at least ambivalent - sorry, but gorgeous on a dancefloor.

Or googled this; U will also know it: FAITH NO MORE - ´Falling To Pieces´ from "The Real Thing"- or ´Midlife Crisis´ from their "Angel Dust"-album.

And shall i send U the "Pfffizzical Graffity" dCD by Zeppelin ? Top record of and on all islands.
The other two: UK "Danger Money" & Zappa´s "Roxy&Elsewhere". And i´m sure, these are lost since the ice-age.

Or early Genesis later....
mondstar

Postby pat_moog » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have now done 3 shows, and they have all gone well. I have played pink floyd, triffic, moody blues, genesis, yes, and various others. If anyone does have any advice on how I can get some more music, please let me know
pat_moog

Postby ianmitchell » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:17 am

Glad to hear your show is going well.

Another thought for music - a lot of current prog artists have free mp3s of complete songs on their websites; there are a few on the Inside Out music page and some of the other 'prog' labels too. I'm not sure what the legality of broadcasting those would be or if the quality is high enough for your broadcasts, but it might be worth looking into. You could always try and contact the bands and see if it's ok to use those tracks (they might even provide you with promotional CDs or something).
ianmitchell

Return to Community