Star One - Space Metal

Post reviews of new (and old) albums. Try to be objective, so that other readers have enough information for them to know if they might like it.

Star One - Space Metal

Postby diddy » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:05 pm

STAR ONE Space Metal
Review by diddy @ 7:07:39 PM EST, 6/7/2004
1/5

— Arjen Anthony Lucassen is a Workaholic refering to music, it's almost countless how much he is releasing. In doing so his style always stays distinguishable. But that's the major problem, it's not always profitable to use an approved stlye over and over again, throughout different projects.

By now it maybe got around that Arjen is a fan of science fiction, you can find this issue everywhere Luccasen has worked on. So this project is called "STAR ONE" and how could it be any different the album is titled "Space Metal". Maybe you can guess what to expect from it. And if you take a look on the list of musicians it gets clearer and clearer. Many of these guys have worked with Arjen on AYREON as well. And that's the problem. No doubt, the musicians know what they're doing but it's dangerous to work with the same guys over and over again in different projects because it leads us to following problem: STAR ONE doesn't sound very different from AYREON, the songs are more guitar orientated and sound more "metal" but the songwriting is kind of insipid and recurring. The keyboards sound exactly the same and the whole sound is interchangeable with AYREON. Lucassen copies Lucassen if you want :roll:

Conclusion, Star one is a iniquitous extraction of AYREON and you get the impression that Mr. Luccasen used some old material or at least used some AYREON remains wich may were sorted out of former AYREON material because they where too poorly. Maybe this one is something for Luccasen fanatics but for those who hoped that this project would make a step foreward it is definitely insufficient. I would die of laughter were it not so sad: STAR ONE gets one star.
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
diddy

Postby ianmitchell » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:58 pm

I don't have the studio version, but I do have Star One - Live on Earth (which has both Star One and Ayreon songs), which I like. I wouldn't consider the Star One songs to be technical masterpieces, but the vocal performances are great. From the songs I've heard from the studio version though, I think on the whole the live versions work better - a bit more energy, plus the addition of some other musicians which maybe changes the sound. In particular having someone other than Arjen do the keyboards helped.
ianmitchell

Postby Tim_DJ » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:57 pm

I reviewed this album back right after it came out for the original Delicious Agony website...I found this album to be tons of fun to listen to. Sure, the sound is very similar to Ayreon stuff. But I thought the album was much better than was posted. I listen to it often and still enjoy it.
Tim Blake
VP, Research Director, All Around Good Guy
DJ - Stainless Steel Prog
DJ - Microphone Free Zone
Delicious Agony Progessive Rock Radio
Tim_DJ
DA Staff

Postby KAIPA » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:46 am

A.A.Lucassen is one of the finest prog.rock artist i know.....
He´s from the Netherlands(im also)...
And i've been there live at the star one tour trough holland!!! OYEA is was nice....
A band is nothing without a great vocalist.
KAIPA

Postby epifreak » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:08 pm

Disclaimer: I do not own this album.

That said, 1/5 seems a bit harsh. If, as you said, the album is nothing but another Ayreon album with a different name and perhaps a tad less quality, that's at least a 2-3. At least for me. When reviewing, I tend to associate a 1/5 rating for the truly abyssmal, with nothing justifying its existence, for instance a Hoobastank album (yes, in a past life, I did own their 1st album :( )
epifreak

Postby KAIPA » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:29 pm

Maybe you listened to the double disk release, because there are some ayreon tracks on it... :-)
A band is nothing without a great vocalist.
KAIPA

Return to Album reviews