Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

Post reviews of new (and old) albums. Try to be objective, so that other readers have enough information for them to know if they might like it.

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

Postby spectre » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:28 pm

Phaedra
(1974)

1. Phaedra (17:35)
2. Mysterious Semblance At The Strand Of Nightmares (9:43)
3. Movements Of A Visionary (7:57)
4. Sequent C' (2:20)

I admit this album took a long...long time to grow into. I listened to pieces of this album on and off for about a year but just didn't enjoy it. I decided one day to sit down and listen to the whole thing and it just grew and grew on me.
To the untrained ear, this album may just seem like random electronic sequencers and noises but what this album manifests is so much bigger. The music is so atmospheric it can portray almost anything the listener wants it to. The music just flows, cold textures, out of this world visuals - its as if you were moving slowly past an obscure area of space. It takes you and moves you through a world of symhphonic electronic mystic. If nature can be translated into electronic music you would hear Phaedra.
If you are going to listen to this album i recommend you listen to the whole thing uninterrupted and be patient with it, personally i enjoy the second half alot more, it keeps moving back and forth from machine-like, cold industrial sounds to warm and "flowy". This is excellent music to relax to or explorer the inner realms of the mind -you just have to give it time.
spectre

Return to Album reviews