The Tsunami Projekt

Post reviews of new (and old) albums. Try to be objective, so that other readers have enough information for them to know if they might like it.

The Tsunami Projekt

Postby ianmitchell » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:37 am

Track listing:
Disc 1
Split Personality - What If
Theory of Everything - Eleven
Nick D'Virgilio - Looking for Answers (demo)
Gary Sauer and Holly Anderson - The Wait of It All
Mark McCrite and Don Schiff (from Rocket Scientists) - Tears of Babylon
Nullstadt - Ancient
Singularity - Hold a Candle
Abracadabra - Schylla & Charybdis
Izz - With the World Away
Radharc - Hope (for Amy Renee)
The Lock - The Tower
Mellotron - Driving Home
Din Within - Hey You
ptM - To Be Continued...

Disc 2
Wooden Badger - Episode of Fact
Ajalon (with Rick Wakeman) - What Kind of Love
Neal Morse - Tell Me Annabelle
Jim Harrel - The Mean Green Sea
IQ - Lost in Paradise
Schafe im Elektrozaun - Another Day
Bonzo - Done & Gone
Open Your Eyes Nicholas - Fly Away
Doctor J - Udu Dances
Radiant Split - Remain the Same
The Marshall-Gray Project - Never Forget
HyeKevan (w/ Jimmy Keegan) - I Lost
Obscenery - On the Outside
Lee Abraham - Be the Heroes

For those who aren't aware of this album, members of the Spock's Beard message board decided to submit songs for CD as a fundraiser for victims of the Dec 26 tsunami. Before long, several well known progressive rock artists (such as Neal Morse, Nick D'Virgilio, IQ, Izz and more) heard of the project and decided to contribute songs as well. There's even a song by a Delicious Agony DJ! All proceeds from selling the CD are donated to the American Red Cross for tsunami relief efforts. The web page for the project (http://www.digitalchemistrymusic.com/th ... i-project/) includes sales tracking and itemized expenses for production/shipping, so you can see exactly where the money is going. Unfortunately the 2nd printing has sold out and there are currently no plans for a 3rd printing (though that might change if there's enough demand).

The CD includes 2 full discs of music, covering a wide range of styles. For the most part the album is relatively mellow prog, pretty much in the vein of the better-known artists who contributed to the album, though there are heavy moments as well, and a few songs in completely different styles. The musicianship is fairly strong throughout the album, and without having a tracklist in front of me I'd have a hard time telling which songs were from the known artists and which were from the members of the message board.

Overall this is a pretty solid album, giving some indication of just how much unknown talent is out there in the progressive rock community. It is well worth the US$15 price even without considering that the money is being donated to a worthwhile cause.
ianmitchell

Postby elliot » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:38 pm

Thanks!
Elliot
VP, Program Director, Webmaster, Chief techno-geek
Pamela Progsnob's "producer"
Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
elliot
Site Admin

Return to Album reviews