Dream Theater's "Octavarium"

Post reviews of new (and old) albums. Try to be objective, so that other readers have enough information for them to know if they might like it.

Dream Theater's "Octavarium"

Postby ikonoklast » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:29 pm

I don't actually have a review. I wanted opinions from those who have heard the album. I'm quite a fan of Dream Theater's but I hated their last two releases. Off of Six Degrees... I only appreciate Glass Prison and I hated Train of Thought enough that I sold it though it is my personality to be a completist. I don't mind heavy as long as it's done right. But what of this new one? Just being cautious.
-ap
ikonoklast

Postby Kev347 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:34 am

Octavarium is a good album. Personally, I really like the 24-minute epic title track - it's as "prog" as they come from those guys, and is a great closer. The rest of the disc isn't as "prog" but is still fairly varied: some metal tracks, a couple of ballads (that, at least I think, don't suck) and such. I say try it out - it's not all metal like Train of Thought was, and the "metal" that is there I think was done right. :)

Kev
Kev347

Postby ianmitchell » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:01 am

The first time I listed to Octavarium I didn't really know what to make of it, but it's really grown on me. I wouldn't necessarily consider it their best, but I do like it. The title track in particular is outstanding. Some reviews have compared it to A Change of Seasons - really the about only similarity is that they're both long songs in my opinion, but both are fantastic epics in their own ways.

It's definitely very different than Train of Thought, so if you didn't like that album you might appreciate the change of direction.
ianmitchell

Postby ikonoklast » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:38 pm

Well, thank you both. When I get the opportunity ($), I'll go out and get it.
-ap
ikonoklast

Postby hutchy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:55 am

I have been a fan of DT since Images and Words and have all there studio releases and live albums and dvds, I also have most of the band members side projects too and a lot of bootlegs !!!

Therefore I feel I am qualified to say that Octavarium is one of their best ever, up their with Awake and Scenes from a memory !!

Panic Attack and the title track are my too favourites !!

just buy it !, you wont be disappointed !

:D
Rockin' All Over The World !!!!
hutchy

Postby Aerandirgr » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:20 am

I think that Dream Theater made a very well-pu strategic movement.

As musicians they know that they have to earn money to live themselves and their families, not for now but for the future too when they grow old to perform. So this is what i'm thinking.

After of the PERFECT Scenes from A Memory , they come out with 6 degrees..a 2-Sided CD.
The 1st CD was a heavy one (to attract new fans of "pure" metal)
The 2nd was a nice progressive epic concept (for the old fans meaning : we haven't forgotten u)

Personally i liked the 2nd Cd WAY more and didn't bother to listen the 1st for a long time..but u know...with time i got used to some heavy riffs and such that were introduced to the 2nd cd too! so with time i started listening to the 1st cd without much discomfort.

Then came Train of Thought. Quite ironic that u should train your thought and make it to like the album cause of the previous cd that was an introduction for this one. More metal fans came to like it and the prog ones bought it , hopping to be a good one, but then again most of them didn;t like it but have bought it nontheless.

Then Octavarium Arrived! Quite as Train of Thought pt II but this time Dream Theater slipped inside "Octavarium" Track and A nice song " Walk Beside You" which is easy-listened and "The Answer Lies Within" a love song ;)
A nice mix-up for everyone to stay satisfied! New fans got their heavy material as well as old ones who have started believing again that DT is going back to prog ;)

And everybody is happy!
Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are
Aerandirgr

12 steps

Postby Moonbat833 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:32 am

I've been a DT fan since Images and Words. Since Mike Portnoy started his AA program, it seems like we're listening to the 12 steps put to music on a lot of this. It comes across as kind of preachy, the music's good, but not thier best. Definately lacking something that has been on their past stuff. I've listened to it about 7 or 8 times and just can't get what everyone else is talking about.
I've seen 'em 14 times and passed on this tour twice since I didn't want to hear a concentration of this live.
Moonbat833

Return to Album reviews