King's X - October 28, 2004, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Tell us about that recent concert you went to. Post playlists. Especially for the smaller bands that play the small venues. Encourage others to see the bands.

King's X - October 28, 2004, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Postby ianmitchell » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:51 am

Well, living in Calgary I don't get a lot of chances to see decent live music, so when King's X came to town I jumped at the chance to see them - probably about my only chance to put a review in this forum. They'd been here once before in 1998, and I'd been eagerly awaiting their return.

The setlist (as best I can figure, mostly borrowed from a newsgroup):
Groove Machine
Believe
I Can't Help it
Cupid
Freedom
Dogman
Mr.Wilson
Screamer
Open My Eyes
Finished (new song)
Charlie Sheen
Julia
Only If (new song)
Hurricane (new song)
Visions
Talk to You
We Were Born to be Loved
Mission
Summerland
Over My Head

The crowd was a bit disappointing, way less than for the 1998 show. But they were into the show at least. The band were in great form - Doug's voice sounded fantastic, and seeing Jerry Gaskill live really shows how underrated he is as a drummer.

Most of the highlights for me were some of their more 'prog' songs. In particular, Visions was fantastic, with Ty Tabor doing an extended guitar solo and showing he can shred with the best. We Were Born to be Loved was also great, as well as Sometime (a song that works way better live than it did in the studio).

After the show the band headed down to the merchandise stand to hang out, talk to fans and sign autographs - a really nice gesture.

Overall this was a great show - well worth seeing them if they come by your neighbourhood. Maybe not strictly prog, but not really mainstream either, and a great act.
ianmitchell

Return to Concert reviews