Rush Hour

Let us know if you have ideas to improve the station or the web site.

Rush Hour

Postby BergerMeister » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:21 pm

A suggestion for the Rush Hour show: PLEASE play more of Rush's material that is actually PROGRESSIVE and less of the (IMNSHO) inferior live stuff. It seems that RIO and R30 are being played A LOT, and I don't think that they represent the best the band has to offer, especially sound-wise. Anything post-Moving Pictures is not really that progressive. Good, yes, but progressive?

Not trying to start a flame war here.
Life is too short for bad tone!
BergerMeister

Postby Jack8 » Fri May 05, 2006 10:28 pm

I agree 100% play more pre 1985 please
Jack8

Rush By Nature is Progressive

Postby misterx » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:52 pm

I quite disagree. All of it is extremely progressive - continually pushing the envelope, expanding the boundries and exploring new territory albeit, shorter songs. Vapor Trails contains one of Rush's most progressive tracks, Peaceable Kingdom and of course Earthshine which to me most resembles early Rush. Out of the Cradle, the last track is power trio progressive genius. Test for Echo has a lot of crap on it but there are a few real standouts - Driven and the title track have a real progressive feel. Counterparts has its share of dogs but Between the Sun and Moon is a real prize. Roll the Bones, with the exception of Bravado and Heresy has a progressive feel throughout - Dreamline remains a standout progressive track. Presto is one of the most listenable Rush albums - I could even call that one "pop-prog: if there is such a term (there is now). Anagram and Red Tide are two of my favorite Rush tracks and both have a very unique progressive feel - I wish the band would unvault them next time they tour. Hold Your Fire has a unique soft progressive feel among Rush albums - but one that had to be explored. Power Windows has more pop-prog, so much so that at the time some of its tracks were being played on new wave radio - now that's progress.

Then there's Grace Under Pressure - dark progressive. There's not been one like it since.

And my personal post-MP fave: Signals - the beginning of modern prog. That entire album changed the way I listened to music and to me definately marked a progression away from Moving Pictures just as MP moved away from Permanent Waves and PW moved away from Hemispheres.

Are the extended tracks and suites of yesteryear ever going to make a comeback? Probably not but the beauty is in the details - and of course extremely subjective.
I had a dream of the open water, I was swimming away out to sea - so deep I could never touch bottom - what a fool I used to be ...
misterx

Return to Suggestions