New Show Ideas?

Let us know if you have ideas to improve the station or the web site.

New Show Ideas?

Postby Sean » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:09 pm

Hi guys,

I ran COFFEE! here on DA for the last year and a half. I decided this weekend to stop because I didn't think the show had really caught on that much and I wanted to find a way to shift gears.

I am still interested in doing a show on DA, but I wanted to figure out whether there would be any demand. So if you have any ideas for a show, please suggest it as well as the timeslot that would work best (note it has to not conflict with any other shows on DA!). If there is a popular idea that I can pitch to the guys in charge I will.

Some ideas I thought of:

* Spotlight a different genre every week (within prog and outside)
* Spotlight a different genre every week, but not prog (i.e. jazz music or classical or death metal or whatever, targetted towards proggers)
* Entire show devoted to one genre, like Stainless Steel Prog. I would want to do a genre not already on DA though.
* Show on new releases (I don't get enough of them though so this might not work out)

Anyway let me know by replying. I don't want to do a show just for myself because that's kind of selfish. I'd rather do something that listeners feel really adds to how much they enjoy DA, which I would enjoy too.

Regards,
Sean
"Someone get me a ladder"
Sean
DA Staff

Postby NecroVMX » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:10 pm

I like the second idea.
Don't you dare cross The Crooked Step
http://dreamtheater.roofles.org
NecroVMX

Postby pogoowner » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:22 pm

I don't really have an idea, but I really think you should do a show. The COFFEE timeslot didn't really work for me; I never really got to hear it, but I love listening to shows on DA.
pogoowner

Postby Sean » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:01 pm

It looks like there are a couple of 6 PM to 7 PM slots available... not a long show obviously at that point, but it might work.
Sean
DA Staff

Postby pogoowner » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:11 am

I would listen from 6 to 7. :)
pogoowner

Postby LesPaul1059 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:13 pm

hmm, well I know there's "That year in Prog" but what about a show dedicated to one period, like "Olde Tyme Prog" (hahahah WTF with the oldish writing lol) or "Modern Prog." You kinda get the idea from that. That might be something. I also like number 2 :P
LesPaul1059

Postby hu0bV sn0!7!l3p » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:59 pm

How about a 'Biography' show. like they do on The canadian version of M-TV (Much music)(Yes i used to actally watch it). This prog version would be longer than the TV time limit of an hour. it would have talking about the focus artists' history and there would actually be complete songs played (TV only ever played snippits). it would be my faveorite show.

either that of a show focusing on the Prog/pop genre (i call it art rock). bands like Supertramp, Peter Gabriel, 80's and 90's Rush, and others.
WAAAZZZUUUPPPPP?!??!!!!??
hu0bV sn0!7!l3p

Postby Sean » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:01 pm

That Biography idea kicks ass... but would be a LOT of work. But it would be worth thinking about.
Sean
DA Staff

Postby elliot » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:43 pm

Regardless of the format, Sean has some great stuff, and a lot of obscure stuff, that needs to be heard. I'll work with Sean to find a prime-time slot for him.

--Elliot
Elliot
VP, Program Director, Webmaster, Chief techno-geek
Pamela Progsnob's "producer"
Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
elliot
Site Admin

Postby diddy » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

I really liked the idea of featuring a different prog genre every week, or every month (4 shows for every genre). But it should be a genre relating to prog IMO...
And to include the biography thing, you could tell the listeners what the genre is all about, how it started etc.
That would be really cool...
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
diddy

Postby hu0bV sn0!7!l3p » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:30 pm

diddy wrote:I really liked the idea of featuring a different prog genre every week, or every month (4 shows for every genre). But it should be a genre relating to prog IMO...
And to include the biography thing, you could tell the listeners what the genre is all about, how it started etc.
That would be really cool...

but doing that (the genre biography) wouldnt be much different than one of the regular shows. with my idea all the ups and downs, trials and triblulations, and a thourough examination of the artists sound will be covered. just doing that with a genre is quite a generalization (considering the amount of artists per genre).

mabie Sean could do the Genre focus, and a different "DJ" could do the biography thing (or vice versa).

:smt026
^^^^unnessisary
WAAAZZZUUUPPPPP?!??!!!!??
hu0bV sn0!7!l3p

Postby Sean » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:35 pm

Hi,

I'd like to thank anyone who was interested enough in this thread to post.

"I really liked the idea of featuring a different prog genre every week, or every month (4 shows for every genre). But it should be a genre relating to prog IMO..."

Understandable. Genre things in prog get tricky, you never know when a choice will ignite the infamous "what is prog" debate.

The biography thing may be possible... it is simply hard work. You have to have most or all of an artist's recordings. You have to research their history (trials and tribulations). And you have to understand what makes their music tick to do a thorough examination of their sound. And a new artist each show! Not saying it wouldn't be a lot of fun... it would be a great challenge, and challenges ARE fun. But doing that kind of show well would be tough!

Maybe a better idea would be a multi-themed show. For example, do the biography once a month. Do a genre show once a month. Do a new releases show once a month. Then a misc show once a month (all covers, or all songs < 3 minutes, or all live tracks, etc.) Whatever people want to hear. I'm open to the idea... the only thing is it makes it more of a "DJ driven show" (hey look at me, I'm Sean, blah blah). And anyway a mix of themes will keep me from getting bored and will give people hope for the next week whenever a show sucks :).

If a mix of themes sounds good I can reapply for my job :lol:

Regards,
Sean
Sean
DA Staff

Postby pogoowner » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:33 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. :P
pogoowner

Return to Suggestions