MP3 Download Sites

You love a band that someone else hates. Say why, but please don't insult someone just because they don't share your opinion or tastes.

MP3 Download Sites

Postby fcoulter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:55 pm

I am not looking for places to download illegal mp3s. Do not send me to any of these sites.

I am wondering what the best legal site which contains mp3s for buying (or subscribing) progressive rock. You can get Brittney Spears anywhere. Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, etc. are also readily available. But which site has the best selection of Spock's Beard, Pavlov's Dog, Camel, and other lesser known progressive bands.

I did notice that buymusic.com at least has a progressive rock section and list, but I don't know how deep the catalog goes. Another possibility is emusic.com which claims to be aimed at "independent" music fans. They've got an interesting 40 downloads per month at $9.95/month pricing policy.

If it's a subscription site, I'd want one that supports my Rio Carbon.

Any thoughts or leads?

Fredrik V. Coulter
fcoulter

Postby ianmitchell » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:34 am

One possibility is Mindawn (http://www.mindawn.com/). They're kind of affiliated with Progrock Records but also have stuff from some other progressive rock labels. Some of the music can be downloaded on a 'preview' basis that allows you to listen to the song 3 times using their software without paying. When you pay for songs, you can buy either a compressed format similar to mp3 or a lossless (CD-quality) format.

Other than that I don't know of any site with a very large selection - I think some of the bigger prog bands are on iTunes, but probably not a lot of the lesser-known bands.
ianmitchell

Return to General music discussion