Hello Progressive Music Fans!

Newgrass shares a passion for instrumental and vocal mastery, soloing, and experimentation outside the traditional bluegrass box. It is
basically rock 'n roll using trad. bluegrass instruments (mandolin, banjo, guitar,
bass + some drums and keys depending on the group/song). Keep an open mind and heart
as I weave in and out of prog rock, newgrass, and some other gems from classic rock,
alternative, and alt. country thrown in for good measure.

How familiar are you with Newgrass/Progressive Bluegrass?

Very familiar
20%
Somewhat familiar
40%
Barely familiar
No votes
Totally unfamiliar
40%

Total votes : 5

Hello Progressive Music Fans!

Postby ProgRadioCat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:41 am

Hey! Steve Sikes-Nova here. I'm very pleased to be able to bring you my unique blend of Prog, Newgrass, and “More”! (could be anything - so watch out!) which I have shared with listeners worldwide on another web radio network since 2003. There I interviewed such prog rock icons as Ian Anderson, Chris Squire, Alan White, Carl Palmer, Tony Kaye, and David Cousins. I live on a small farm in rural Hampton Roads, Virginia with my wife of 20 years, Valarie, and many, many horses, cats & dogs (most are rescues). I am passionate about progressive music, animal welfare (cats in particular), and my own vocal music. I have worked as a special education teacher and mathematics coach with the learning disabled/dyslexic in the rural Virginia public school system for over 15 years.

Progressive music includes other progressive genres besides our favorite, prog rock. I developed a keen interest in progressive bluegrass or 'newgrass' a while back. Newgrass shares a passion for instrumental and vocal mastery, soloing, and experimentation outside the traditional bluegrass box. It is basically rock 'n roll using trad. bluegrass instruments (mandolin, banjo, guitar, bass + some drums and keys depending on the group/song). Keep an open mind and heart as I weave in and out of prog rock, newgrass, and some other gems from new and classic rock, alternative, indie, and alt. country thrown in for good measure.

Show: 'Prog, Newgrass & More!'
Station: Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
Web: http://www.deliciousagony.com
Premiers: Sunday, January 10, 2010
Time: 9-10 pm EST IEastern Standard Time)
Repeats: New Show Weekly; check for other times
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. Albert Schweitzer

You can drink milk with a cup, but you can't cut wood with a cat. (Romanian Proverb)
ProgRadioCat

Postby Rick and Roll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Interesting idea!
Rick and Roll

Postby ProgRadioCat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Rick and Roll wrote:Interesting idea!

Thanks for keeping an open mind about this experiment, Rick. I will certainly be watching this forum and reading listener reactions to the show. My station on the other radio network has over 2,000 fans (over 6 years - still not bad) but they came to the show with all kinds of musical backgrounds. This is the first time - that I know of - that a show feature prog bluegrass as a significant part of a playlist has been tried on a prog rock station. DA is definitely at the forefront of being 'progressive' and experimental.

:)Steve S-N
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. Albert Schweitzer

You can drink milk with a cup, but you can't cut wood with a cat. (Romanian Proverb)
ProgRadioCat

Postby DragonStab » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Hey Steve!

Glad to see you coming to DA. I look forward to hearing your show here.

You did an interview with us a while back. I'm Michael Murray.
DragonStab

Postby DragonStab » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:33 pm

A couple of questions:

Is your show live, or prerecorded?

Will you be in chat (lower left on the main DA page) during the show?
DragonStab

Postby ProgRadioCat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:24 pm

DragonStab wrote:Hey Steve!

Glad to see you coming to DA. I look forward to hearing your show here.

You did an interview with us a while back. I'm Michael Murray.

Well hello, Michael! Yes, I do remember. Thanks for the welcome. I am trying something new here thanks to Elliott and Joe and Don. I appreciate you stopping by this forum. :)Steve S-N

ProgRadioCat

Postby ProgRadioCat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:29 pm

DragonStab wrote:A couple of questions:

Is your show live, or prerecorded?

Will you be in chat (lower left on the main DA page) during the show?

My show is prerecorded. I would like to do it live but I live way out in the country and do not have real hi-speed. The best that I can do here is expensive HughesNet satellite internet with a peak upstream of 250kbps and a downstream of 150kbps. Yes, strangely enough my upstream is faster than my down?!

I do plan to be in the DA chatroom during the show. I am having to do some software re-adjustment which is going to require a restart of my computer right after I finish typing this. I never know what is going to happen when I do something like this so I did set a restore point.

Bottom line - if I am not in the chatroom at 8 pm something went wrong!

ProgRadioCat

Postby DragonStab » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:56 pm

By the way......

That Romanian Proverb in your signature is making my head hurt.

lol
DragonStab

Postby ProgRadioCat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:20 pm

DragonStab wrote:By the way......

That Romanian Proverb in your signature is making my head hurt.

lol

LOL!!! It has a great many uses in different and various situations. Just make sure that you say it with certitude and then sit back and watch the fun begin. :)SS-N

ProgRadioCat

Couldn't Make the Chat Work Tonight

Postby ProgRadioCat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Sorry, DragonStab. I saw you in there with me but the software wouldn't allow me to connect/reply. I guess this forum is as good as it gets tonight.

Steve

ProgRadioCat

Postby ianmitchell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:58 pm

You've piqued my curiosity - I'm normally a Monday to Friday daytime listener, but I'll have to try to find a chance to listen on a Sunday evening to hear some of this "newgrass".
Last edited by ianmitchell on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianmitchell

Postby ProgRadioCat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:43 pm

ianmitchell wrote:You've piqued by curiosity - I'm normally a Monday to Friday daytime listener, but I'll have to try to find a chance to listen on a Sunday evening to hear some of this "newgrass".

Well thanks for the interest, Ian. :)

Elliot is currently considering an encore during the week but a suitable time has to be found.

If no encore can be worked out, I do hope that you find time to join me on Sunday evenings.

I also play indie, new acoustic, and alternative besides "newgrass." But if you hear a banjo in the mix then you know that it is prog bluegrass/newgrass!

ProgRadioCat

Return to Prog, Newgrass, and More!